The school library profession has been in “crisis” for more than a decade. Educational decision-makers have not been made aware of or sold on the core values of school librarianship and its value to students, classroom teachers, administrators, and the entire school community. Budgetary priorities often do not include school librarians, resulting in a lack of funding and the elimination of many positions, which can cause many school librarians to feel vulnerable and afraid. Guideposts are needed to offer today’s school librarians a chance to connect or reconnect with their passion for literacy, learning, and serving that led them to the profession.
Core Values in School Librarianship: Responding with Commitment and Courage provides preservice, newly practicing, and seasoned school librarians with opportunities for thoughtful reflection alongside inspiring strategies for gathering courage and enacting four core values of the profession. It is an important and visionary book that all school librarians should read as they develop in their role as leaders in their schools.
- Guides readers to connect or reconnect with passion and purpose for school librarianship, both of which are essential during times of crisis and change
- Addresses the core values of librarianship with examples of how they are enacted in the school library setting
- Features diverse voices and experiences related to passion and practice of the core values
- Provides opportunities for reflection to improve practice and strengthen commitment to the work of school librarianship
- Benefits library stakeholders