London is one of the largest cultural and financial centers in the world. How did it become the capital city of the United Kingdom, and what is life like in this global city today?
Narrative chapters cover a wide range of topics in this volume, examining such themes as location, people, history, politics, economy, environment and sustainability, local crime and violence, security issues, natural hazards and emergency management, culture and lifestyle, London in pop culture, and London’s future. Inset boxes entitled “Life in the City” include personal memoirs from people who are from or have lived in London, allowing readers a glimpse into daily life in the city. Sidebars, a chronology, and a bibliography round out the text. This volume is ideal for students and general readers who are interested in learning about life in this global city.
- Written by a Londoner, this book offers a true insider's insights into one of the world's major cities
- Contributors to the book include modern-day Londoners who give personal accounts of living through some of the most notable events in London's history
- A Chronology provides a succinct, at-a-glance timeline of events in the history of the city
- Sidebars reveal fun facts about the city, such as interesting laws and cultural taboos
- Photos illustrate the text and depict important sites, people, and cultural traditions found in the city
- Chapters are written in an engaging and accessible manner, ideal for students, researchers, and general readers