State Oddities is a fascinating trip through the 50 states for students studying America, teachers planning classroom activities, and general readers who will enjoy an eye-opening journey through the nation’s fun side. It offers a compelling look at the character of America through the individuality of 50 very distinct states that together form the USA. This book paints a picture of the broad sweep of the American story, offering a gateway to the country as it developed into one nation filled with individual states that can be remarkably different from each other, yet unified under such national symbols as the American flag and “The Star-Spangled Banner.”
The author of State Oddities has become known as a master of "painless history," telling America’s story in a sparkling style along with the historian’s eye for fascinating detail. On the book’s cross-country journey, the reader will find that it differs from other works by taking a fresh look at stories we think we know.
- Engaging, entertaining, readable, and informative narratives for both students and adults
- Teacher-friendly entries on each state form the building blocks for history, geography, and social studies projects
- Lively sidebars add spice to the book
- Helpful Fact Box overviews for each state
- Fascinating images in every state entry
- Bibliographic references and suggestions for further information