This title provides a broad overview of how women are portrayed and treated in America's news and entertainment industries, including film, television, radio, the internet, and social media.
This book provides a one-stop resource for understanding the participation and representation of women in the U.S. media in such areas as narrative film, scripted television programming, advertising, video games, news, and sports. Coverage is wide-ranging and comprehensive, covering historical developments and trends as well as such relevant issues as gender disparities in pay and advancement opportunities, stereotypical gender portrayals in popular entertainment, sexual harassment in America’s media and entertainment industries, and the dearth of positive media representations of women of color.
Engaging with this history and reading about current issues related to this topic will be useful to those interested in understanding more about why women’s engagement in media—in such roles as performer, journalist, producer, and writer—is important. It will also help readers better understand how and why problematic media representations of women hinder efforts to achieve full gender equality in American society.
- Provides readers with an understanding of the history of women's representation in developing and contemporary media industries
- Highlights and discusses current issues related to women's representation in media forms
- Offers perspectives from a variety of writers on specific elements of women's representation and professional prospects in American media industries
- Profiles accomplished women who have impacted media industries in meaningful ways
Contemporary World Issues
This award-winning series offers comprehensive, one-volume reference handbooks on important topics related to health, education, the environment, and social and ethical issues.
24-hour cable news. Millions of internet sites. Information overload. How can we sort through the information? Assess the analyses? Trust the sources?
A world of questions demands a library of answers. Contemporary World Issues
covers the controversial topics that students, readers, and citizens want to read about, write about, and know more about.
Subject coverage spans six main categories:
- Criminal Justice
- Gender and Ethnicity
- Politics, Law, and Government
- Science, Technology, and Medicine
Each volume offers a rich array of resources:
- A background and history essay that provides essential context and grounding for further study
- A balanced summary of ongoing controversies and proposed solutions that show numerous paths for further research on pressing, contemporary questions
- A forum of authoritative perspective essays by experts, offering a broad spectrum of arguments on the issues
- Carefully selected annotated documents, tables, and graphs that support statistical literacy and investigation of primary sources
- A chronology of events, legislation, and movements that place events in sequence and draw connections between them
- Annotated lists of print, web, and multimedia resources that power the next steps for in-depth research
- Profiles of key players and organizations
- A glossary of key terms