China is both the world’s oldest continuing civilization and an emerging global super power. Over the last two millennia, this rich and complex nation has often been the wealthiest and most populous country on earth—and within a few decades, China may surpass all other nations as the most powerful in the world.
In this third edition of The History of China, readers will find a general survey of China’s long history, ranging from accounts of ancient Chinese civilization to individual dynasties, and its whirlwind transition to modernity and belated arrival into the international community. An extensive new chapter discusses the emergence of Xi Jinping as China’s paramount leader and the bold new directions in which he is taking the country and offers some speculations or predictions about where China is headed in the future. A timeline, appendix of Notable People in the History of China, and bibliography are updated. Ideal for high school and undergraduate students, this volume offers a lively, engaging narrative of the rich history of Chinese civilization through present day.
- Gives readers a clear chronological march through Chinese history, including the dynasties
- Covers the startling history of China's technological innovation and scientific discovery
- Examines the history of China's interactions with non-Chinese peoples and states and draws attention to how they may be relevant to understanding China's international relations today
- Contains a new chapter covering leader Xi Jinping's rise to power
- Includes an updated timeline of significant events in the history of China, providing students with an at-a-glance overview of China's history
- Provides readers with brief biographies of those who have made important contributions to the country's history in an updated appendix of Notable People in the History of China