The recent histories of Croatia and Slovenia have been relatively stable, as both countries have merged successfully into modern Europe. But how did these countries arrive at such a place?
The History of Croatia and Slovenia provides factual overviews of these countries’ political systems, geographical details, significant individuals, and more. The volume opens with the prehistoric and ancient roots of these states, though this history predates their modern ethnic and linguistic identities as we know them. Chapters cover the Roman period, followed by barbarian waves and the countries’ subsequent absorption into the Venetian, Hungarian, and Holy Roman Empires. The modern period of national awakening in the nineteenth century, when the ethno-genesis of modern Croatia and Slovenia began, is covered in great detail.
The volume additionally covers subsequent turbulent events such as WWI, WWII, the Holocaust, Communist Yugoslavia, and its civil wars of the 1990s, through the events of 2019. Written in approachable yet scholarly language, this volume is ideal for high school and university students, as well as any reader interested in Balkan or European history.
- Covers the oft-overlooked contributions to European development made by various ethnic groups no longer extant, such as the Avars, and the unexpected modernity of former civilizations, such as the Republic of Ragusa (Dubrovnik)
- Provides a critical view of the past century of political turbulence in this part of the Balkans, objectively discussing the mixed roles of local and foreign protagonists and their continuing legacies
- Includes a chronology of important events in the histories of both Croatia and Slovenia, providing students with an at-a-glance overview of the two countries' histories
- Provide biographies of those who have made important contributions to the countries through history in an appendix of Notable People in the History of Croatia and Slovenia
- Provides readers with detailed information on further resources for their personal research in an annotated bibliography