Listen to Rap! Exploring a Musical Genre discusses the 50 most influential, commercially successful, and important rappers, rap crews (bands), rap albums, and rap singles. Rap began as an American phenomenon, so the book’s emphasis is on Americans, although it also includes information on Canadian, British, Indian, and African rappers and crews. Its organization makes information easily accessible for readers, and the emphasis on the sound of the music gives readers a new angle from which to appreciate the music.
Unlike other titles in the series, this volume concentrates solely on rap music. Included in the book are rappers who range from the earliest practitioners of the genre to rappers who are redefining the genre today. A background section introduces the genre, while a legacy section shows how rap has cemented its place in the world. Additionally, another section shows the tremendous impact rap has had on popular culture.
- Provides readers with a ready list of the 50 most important people and events in rap
- Discusses vocal styles and musical production in depth
- Quickly and efficiently characterizes rappers, crews, albums, and singles
- Provides pertinent information that links rappers, producers, DJs (turntablists), and record labels
- Discusses the history of rap as a series of local phenomena in the introduction