Once known for being an early settlement for human existence, Nigeria is now becoming better known for being a global oil giant, serving as one of the largest oil producers in the world. What is contemporary life like in this African powerhouse nation?
This latest volume in the Understanding Modern Nations series focuses on Nigeria, the most populous country in Africa. Thematic chapters examine topics such as geography, history, politics, economics, literature, music, food, gender, class, religion, etiquette, and more. Each chapter begins with an overview, providing a general background on the topic, and then opens into encyclopedia entries to further explore the topic. An appendix offers “Day in the Life” profiles of a typical day in the lives of representative members from Nigerian society. A timeline, a glossary, a holidays chart, a bibliography, tables, and sidebars round out the text. This volume will be useful to high school and undergraduate students but is also accessible to general readers interested in learning about Nigeria.
- Includes “Day in the Life” features that portray the specific daily activities of various people in Nigeria, from teenagers to working adults in different fields, providing readers insight into daily life in the country
- Defines key terms related to the reading in a glossary appendix
- Provides at-a-glance information about Nigeria’s important religious and secular holidays in a chart of national holidays
- Illuminates the text in photos that help to illustrate key topics and allow students to dive more deeply into ideas
- Provides fun facts and anecdotal information in sidebars that help to engage readers