Whether it’s alcohol, tobacco, recreational drugs, or prescription medications, substance abuse can have devastating consequences for an individual’s short- and long-term health. It can also have far-reaching impacts on psychological well-being, relationships, and finances. A part of Greenwood’s Q&A Health Guides series, Substance Abuse: Your Questions Answered provides clear, concise information for readers interested in or struggling with this difficult subject. It explores the substances most frequently abused in the United States, the causes and effects of their abuse, treatment options, and the role that popular culture and the media have in shaping our understanding of these behaviors.
Each book in this series follows a reader-friendly question-and-answer format that anticipates readers’ needs and concerns. Prevalent myths and misconceptions are identified and dispelled, and a collection of case studies illustrates key concepts and issues through relatable stories and insightful recommendations. The book also includes a section on health literacy, equipping teens and young adults with practical tools and strategies for finding, evaluating, and using credible sources of health information both on and off the internet—important skills that contribute to a lifetime of healthy decision-making.
- Makes the subject accessible to readers by means of a simple Q&A format
- Helps readers hone their research and critical thinking skills in a Guide to Health Literacy section
- Provides real-world examples of concepts discussed in the book through case studies
- Dispels popular misconceptions in a Common Myths section and directs readers towards accurate information
- Points readers towards additional books, organizations, and websites for further study and research in an annotated directory of resources