The Philippines is a nation that has experience being ruled by two separate colonial powers, home to a people who have had strong attachments to democratic politics, with a culture that is a rich mix of Chinese, Spanish, and American influences. What are important characteristics of contemporary daily life and culture in the Philippines today?
This volume explores the geography, history, and society of this important island nation. Thematic chapters examine topics such as government and politics, history, food, etiquette, education, gender, marriage and sexuality, media and popular culture, music, art, and more. Each chapter opens with a general overview of the topic and is followed by alphabetically arranged entries that home in even closer on the topic. Sidebars and illustrations appear throughout the text, and appendixes cover a glossary, facts and figures, holidays chart, and vignettes that paint a picture of a typical “Day in the Life” of students and adults in the country. A bibliography rounds out the work. Modern Philippines is a comprehensive volume on this leading Southeast Asia island nation.
- Includes "Day in the Life" features that portray the specific daily activities of various people in the Philippines in different fields, from teens to working adults, providing readers insight into daily life in the country
- Defines key terms related to the reading in a glossary appendix
- Provides at-a-glance information about the Philippines' important religious and secular holidays in a chart of national holidays
- Illuminates the text in photos that help to illustrate key topics and allow students to dive more deeply into ideas
- Provides fun facts and anecdotal information in sidebars that help to engage readers