Here, the complex forces behind international migration and the enormous impact it is having on our globalized world are examined. Chapters cover both the challenges and opportunities associated with migration in a broad selection of countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, North America, and South America. The book also provides in-depth analysis of such recent events as the Ukrainian refugee crisis, violence against immigrants in South Africa, support for right-wing political parties in Germany, Australia’s use of offshore detention centers, and the Trump administration’s efforts to curb immigration.
The book also investigates the profound impact that climate change will have on patterns of human migration in the coming years. Taken together, the chapters offer candid and compelling coverage of a dynamic subject that impacts millions of people worldwide. For readers wishing to delve even deeper into this multifaceted and often contentious subject, a comprehensive list of recommended resources serves as a gateway to further exploration.
- Examines the ongoing Ukrainian refugee crisis
- Analyzes the causes and consequences of the 2015 European refugee crisis
- Explores how the migration of skilled and highly educated migrants affects economic development in sending and receiving countries
- Raises fundamental questions about why states accept unwanted migrants and whether international migration can be effectively controlled
- Addresses the most pressing future problems, such as how up to a billion people will be forced to migrate as a result of the worst effects of climate change