The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, known for its petroleum reserves and leadership role in the Middle East, is explored in this latest addition to the Understanding Modern Nations series. Organized into thematic chapters, Modern Saudi Arabia covers both history and contemporary daily life. Chapter topics include: Geography; History; Government and Politics; Economy; Religion and Thought; Social Classes and Ethnicity; Gender, Marriage, and Sexuality; Education; Language; Etiquette; Literature and Drama; Art and Architecture; Music and Dance; Food; Leisure and Sports; and Media and Popular Culture. Each chapter contains an overview of the topic and alphabetized entries on examples of each theme.
A detailed historical timeline spans from prehistoric times to the present. Special appendices are also included, offering profiles of a typical day in the life of representative members of Saudi society, a glossary, key facts and figures about Saudi Arabia, and a holiday chart. This volume will be useful for readers looking for specific topical information and for those who want to read entire chapters to gain a deeper perspective on aspects of modern Saudi Arabia.
- Includes "Day in the Life" features that portray the specific daily activities of various people in Saudi Arabia, from teenagers to working adults in different fields, thereby providing readers with insight into daily life in the country
- Defines key terms related to the reading in a glossary appendix
- Provides at-a-glance information about Saudi Arabia's important religious and secular holidays in a chart of national holidays
- Illuminates the text through photos and sidebars helping to illustrate key topics and allowing students to dive more deeply into ideas
- Provides fun facts and anecdotal information in sidebars that help to engage readers