Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are on the rise globally, despite advances in science, technology, and the pharmaceutical industry. Individuals may not realize they have an STD or may be reluctant to get tested or seek treatment because of the stigma surrounding such conditions. This title in Greenwood’s Q&A Health Guides series, Sexually Transmitted Diseases: Your Questions Answered provides clear, concise information for readers who want to learn more about and safeguard their sexual health. In addition to in-depth discussion of all STDs, it covers topics such as prevention, testing, disclosure with partners, and potential long-term consequences.
Each book in this series follows a reader-friendly question-and-answer format that anticipates readers’ needs and concerns. Prevalent myths and misconceptions are identified and dispelled, and a collection of case studies illustrates key concepts and issues through relatable stories and insightful recommendations. The book also includes a section on health literacy, equipping teens and young adults with practical tools and strategies for finding, evaluating, and using credible sources of health information both on and off the internet—important skills that contribute to a lifetime of healthy decision-making.
- Makes the subject accessible to readers by means of a simple Q&A format
- Helps readers hone their research and critical thinking skills in a Guide to Health Literacy section
- Provides real-world examples of concepts discussed in the book through case studies
- Dispels popular misconceptions in a Common Myths section and directs readers towards accurate information
- Points readers towards additional books, organizations, and websites for further study and research in an annotated directory of resources