This comprehensive guide covers movie musicals from their introduction with the 1927 film The Jazz Singer through 2015 releases. In all, it describes 125 movies, opening up the world of this popular form of entertainment to preteens, teens, and adults alike.
An introduction explains the advent of movie musicals; then, in keeping with the book’s historical approach, films are presented by decade and year with overviews of advances during particular periods. In this way, the reader not only learns about individual films but can see the big picture of how movie musicals developed and changed over time. For each film covered, the guide offers basic facts—studio, director, songwriters, actors, etc.—as well as a brief plot synopsis. Each entry also offers an explanation of why the movie is noteworthy, how popular it was or wasn’t, and the influence the film might have had on later musicals. Sidebars offering brief biographies of important artists appear throughout the book.
- Shows how the genre developed over time, from the 1920s to the present
- Shares fascinating insights about musicals with which the reader is already familiar
- Offers information on many lesser-known musicals
- Helps readers find film musicals that are similar to those they know and like
- Introduces important performers, directors, and songwriters
- Includes photographic stills from famous movie musicals