Rather than focusing on treating what is “wrong” with a person, positive psychology seeks to understand and foster the things that drive happiness, creativity, and emotional fulfillment. This is a relatively new area of psychological study, and this reference book presents the research and practice of positive psychology in an informative and accessible format. Readers are given a history of the field, its current applications, and the future implications of this psychological discipline.
Case studies from companies such as The Body Shop, Volvo, Zappos, and Google highlight the impact of positive psychology when it’s applied in a modern business setting. These case studies, along with biographies of leaders in the field, highlight each chapter and connect the dots between the empirical theory of positive psychology and its practice. Readers also receive tools to apply the practices to their own lives.
- Grounded in academics but accessible to a wide range of readers
- Challenges the reader to engage in the material and examine the application of positive psychology across multiple domains
- Provides an extensive bibliography with references to books, journal articles, popular press articles, and websites
- Includes examples of how media and technology can promote happiness and well-being
- Provides practical and applied knowledge in the field that can be used in one's daily life