Written for high school students and general readers who have little background on the world’s largest democracy, this second edition of a popular work provides an objective overview of Indian history with a particular focus on the modern nation. Approximately half of the book deals with developments since the beginning of the 20th century, with new chapters covering events and issues that made news between 2002 and 2014.
Readers can learn about the Bollywood craze, 21st-century economic growth, and concerns about the safety and equality of women today, as well as about such traditional topics as Buddhism and Hinduism, the Mughal Dynasty, and the British East India Company. Caste politics and the establishment of the Republic of India are covered, as is the life of Mahatma Gandhi. Completely revised and expanded, the second edition features fresh content throughout and includes photographs that were not in the earlier volume. The Notable Figures section, Appendix of Leaders, timeline, and glossary are also updated, and the bibliography now features electronic resources for students.
- Completely updates the original, top-selling volume and adds information about issues, people, and events post-2002
- Covers the entire history of India with particular attention to the formative events of the 20th century and the economic transformation that has taken place since 1991
- Helps readers appreciate the sheer size of India's current population, its ever-increasing economic importance, and its strategic significance
- Presents information in a clear, accessible style appropriate for readers who have little or no previous knowledge about India
- Draws on the latest scholarly studies of Indian history