As elementary schools in nearly all 50 states are faced with meeting the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), school librarians need to understand the challenges and have lesson plans ready to help. This resource introduces the CCSS in English and mathematics to K–5 librarians and aides, helping them to understand the concepts, analyzing the impact on the school library, and providing lesson plans, resources, and other tools for implementation in integrated instruction with other curricula and collaborative teaching with other elementary teachers.
Based upon the authors’ own experiences in adopting the CCSS in their school, the included exemplar lesson plans and ideas are designed to support school librarians as they begin to collaborate with teachers in using the Common Core Standards in their daily classroom instruction. The book also discusses the opportunities for advocacy that result from the librarian’s instrumental role in implementing the CCSS, both as a staff developer and a collaborative partner teacher.
- Defines the Common Core State Standards in English and mathematics
- Draws parallels to American Association of School Librarians (AASL) standards
- Discusses the impact of the CCSS on specific aspects of library administration, such as policies and collection management
- Examines how CCSS affects classroom and collaborative instruction in the library
- Identifies opportunities for the librarian to help in staff development in the CCSS