While all youth are likely to face traumatic or stressful situations in their transition to adulthood, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgendered (LGBT) youth face significant and specific challenges in their lives—a result of living in a society that has yet to accept or be comfortable with the idea of same-sex or other “non-heterosexual” attraction, especially among young people. LGBT Youth Issues Today: A Reference Handbook presents historical background on the topic, provides an up-to-date examination of the issues of concern to LGBT youth, and offers in-depth information and resources for further research.
In addition to providing frank, accessible information about the problems, controversies, and solutions facing today’s LGBT teenagers, the work contains a chapter of essays from informed individuals regarding same-sex relationships among youth, voicing the experiences and opinions of activists, social workers, psychologists, educators, parents of LGBT youth, and LGBT youth themselves. Also included is a chapter profiling about 20 individuals and organizations that have been involved in discussions about gay and lesbian youth, such as Tony Perkins, Kevin Jennings, Robert Parlin, the GLBT National Help Center, It Gets Better, Gay Lesbian Straight Educational Network (GLSEN), Family Pride Coalition, Out Scouts, Family Research Council, and the National Organization for Marriage (NOM).
- Addresses the major issues faced by LGBT youth, such as gaining acceptance of their sexual identity in the school environment or finding a means to survive after rejection by their family members
- Examines historic societal attitudes toward same-sex relationships involving young people, allowing readers to grasp how the general population's thinking has evolved
- Reviews and discusses the findings of literature on the causes of homelessness and suicidal ideation among LGBT youth
- Presents examples of ways in which LGBT youth have developed the skills that enable them to deal with their unique issues and concerns
- Includes an extensive list of resources and organizations that can provide additional information and assistance to both LGBT and non-LGBT individuals