The history of American Indians is an integral part of American history overall—a part that is often overlooked. History of American Indians: Exploring Diverse Roots provides a broad chronological overview of Native American history that challenges readers to grapple with the elemental themes of adaptation, continuity, and persistence. The book enables a deeper understanding of the origins and early history of American Indians and presents new scholarship based on the latest research.
Readers will learn a wealth of American Indian history as well as appreciate the key role American Indians played in certain significant stages of American history as a whole. The direct connections between the events in the past and many current hot-button topics—such as race, climate change, water use, and other issues—are clearly identified. The book’s straightforward, chronological presentation makes it a helpful and easy-to-read scholarly work appropriate for advanced high school and undergraduate college students.
- Provides readers with a synopsis of the most current findings on the prehistory of American Indians
- Creates a comprehensive narrative of American Indian history
- Presents extensive coverage of the history of the American West and Pacific Northwest
- Addresses topics that are often overlooked in other narratives, such as the American Indian's role in the Civil War
- Covers contemporary American Indian life and culture