Challenging librarians to rethink some of their traditional practices, Maximizing the Impact of Comics in Your Library provides creative and proven solutions for libraries of all types that want to get comics into the hands of fans and promote readership. The author describes how libraries would benefit from an in-house classification system and organization that accounts for both publishers and series.
In addition, acquiring comics can often be tricky due to renumbering of series, reboots, shifting creative teams, and more—this book shows you how to work around those obstacles. Shelving and displays that reflect comic readers’ browsing habits, creative programs that boost circulation of comics and graphic novels, and how comics can play a vital role in educational institutions are also covered.
- Addresses common challenges librarians face with comics and graphic novels collections and shows how to surmount them
- Offers a solutions-focused approach
- Describes how comics can be used to better engage your community and to educate youth
- Fills a gap in the professional literature, covering topics not touched upon in the existing literature
- Serves as a vital resource for public, academic, and school libraries