Modern Indian, an addition to the Understanding Modern Nations series, is an in-depth and interdisciplinary encyclopedia. While many books on life in India exist today, this volume is unique as a concise, accessible overview of multiple aspects of Indian society and history. It will be a useful background or supplemental text for anyone interested in modern Indian life and culture.
Individual chapters address all aspects of life in 21st-century India, from geography and history to economy and religion to etiquette and sports. Each chapter begins with an overview, followed by entries on, for example, major political parties or literary works. Each overview and entry is self-contained and accompanied by an up-to-date Further Reading list.
- Includes "Day in the Life" features that portray specific daily activities of various people in the country, from high school students to working class people to professionals, providing readers with insight into daily life in the country
- Defines key terms related to the reading in a glossary
- Highlights interesting facts and figures, including information on the military, industry and labor, and finances, in an appendix
- Provides at-a-glance information about India's festivals and feast days with a chart of national holidays
- Illuminates the text with photos and sidebars, helping to illustrate key topics and allow students to dive more deeply into ideas