Modern Genocide: The Definitive Resource and Document Collection spans nearly 1,700 pages presented in four volumes and includes more than 120 primary source documents, making it ideal for high school and beginning college students studying modern genocide as part of a larger world history curriculum. The coverage for each modern genocide, from Herero to Darfur, begins with an introductory essay that helps students conceptualize the conflict within an international context and enables them to better understand the complex role genocide has played in the modern world. There are hundreds of entries on atrocities, organizations, individuals, and other aspects of genocide, each written to serve as a springboard to meaningful discussion and further research.
The coverage of each genocide includes an introductory overview, an explanation of the causes, consequences, perpetrators, victims, and bystanders; the international reaction; a timeline of events; an Analyze section that poses tough questions for readers to consider and provides scholarly, pro-and-con responses to these historical conundrums; and reference entries. This integrated examination of genocides occurring in the modern era not only presents an unprecedented research tool on the subject but also challenges the readers to go back and examine other events historically and, consequently, consider important questions about human society in the present and the future.
- Provides a comprehensive examination of 10 modern genocides together in a single reference work, written by experts to be easily readable by advanced high school, undergraduate, and graduate students
- Includes a collection of documents with each genocide section that also contains appropriate introductions to set the historical and contemporary context
- Addresses not only the sobering reality of these different modern genocides but the pervasive, long-term consequences and impact on the communities affected by them
- Supplies Analyze sections that allow for critical thinking while providing readers with insight into some of the most controversial and significant issues involving genocide
- Serves as a gateway to further explorations regarding questions on genocide prevention, intervention, and the delivery of humanitarian aid