||6 1/8x9 1/4
||Current Events and Issues/Education
Leaders from both private and public institutions provide a 360-degree view of the challenges and opportunities facing higher education—and offer a manifesto for restoring relevance and respect.
Where is the value in higher education? How can higher education restore its relevance and trust with students and parents? Are there really any meaningful differences between public and private higher education? This volume probes those questions and more, exploring the myriad issues that have led many people to question whether higher education is worth the sacrifices it requires of parents and students.
Drawing on the experience and expertise of a wide variety of highly renowned academics, respected government officials, and well-grounded individuals from the private sector, this thought-provoking book offers readers simple but powerful ways to evaluate whether prospective colleges and universities merit the very substantial investment of time, abilities, and financial resources they necessitate. Readers will learn what to look for in a college or university and what questions to ask in selecting an institution of higher education. They will also learn how parents, students, academicians, and other stakeholders can advocate for changes to benefit both higher education and the constituency it serves.
- Applies the research-based and field-tested ROCC of Trust© model as a means for providers and consumers to evaluate how an educational institution is addressing key issues regarding the relevance of earning a degree
- Shares expert opinions on how to make higher education worthwhile, both developmentally and financially
- Develops a call to action showing how institutions of higher education can rebuild the trust they have lost because of skyrocketing tuition costs, declining graduation rates, and persistent underemployment of recent grads
- Includes checklists that will help students, parents, and higher education employees assess whether a given institution is worth the money/investment
- Offers a calculator that can be used to quantify the payoff from attending various educational institutions