||Geography and World Cultures/Countries and Regions
Written by specialists in the field of Egyptology, this book is a readable introduction to ancient Egypt, covering all anticipated subjects and stressing the monuments and material culture of this remarkable ancient civilization.
The rich natural resources of ancient Egypt provided a wealth of raw material for its structures, sculptures, and art, while its geographic isolation helped to ensure the survival of its rich culture for centuries. While other references focus on the people and battles central to Egyptian history, this reference explores the material culture and social institutions of ancient Egypt. The book focuses on pharaonic Egypt, covering the period from roughly 5000 BCE to the beginning of the Greco-Roman Period in 320 BCE.
At the front of the work, a timeline provides a quick look at the major events in Egyptian history, and an introduction surveys ancient Egypt's physical geography and history. Alphabetically arranged reference entries written by expert contributors then provide fundamental information about the buildings, jewelry, social practices, and other topics related to the material culture and institutions that made up the Egyptian world. Excerpts from primary source historical documents provide evidence for what we know about ancient Egyptian culture, and suggestions for further reading direct users to additional sources of information.
- Presents a timeline to succinctly identify key events in the history of ancient Egypt
- Provides an introduction of the physical geography of ancient Egypt and an overview of the history of that civilization
- Offers alphabetically arranged reference entries written by expert contributors for fundamental information about the material culture and social institutions of ancient Egypt
- Features excerpts from primary source documents to give readers first-hand accounts of ancient Egyptian civilization
- Cites works for further reading to complement a bibliography at the close of the work
- Author Info
"With its accessible essays and emphasis on culture, this set will be an excellent introduction for students and general readers. A definite purchase for high school, college, and public libraries."
"Libraries serving [...students at the high school or undergraduate university levels as well as interested readers from the general public] should consider this two-volume set..."
- Look Inside