A Guide to Picture Books and Easy Readers
Almost every library patron is looking for something specific, whether it's information for a research project, a certain type of media, or the work of a particular author. But what about your typical early reader, aged three to eight? They're as picky as any user group, and they're not very good at explaining what they want.
||Children's and Young Adult Services/Readers' Advisory Services
||Children's and Young Adult Collection Management/Acquisition and Collection Development Guides
This valuable reference work and readers' advisory tool lists, describes, and organizes, according to reading interests, contemporary picture books and easy readers that satisfy the interests of children ages three to eight.
How can we help young children become successful adult readers? One powerful way to impact youth is to provide young readers and listeners with books that will pique their interest, setting them on the path to a life-long love of literature.
Primary Genreflecting: A Guide to Picture Books and Easy Readers provides library specialists, parents, teachers, and caregivers with 2,500 picture books and easy readers, sorted into 12 chapters and numerous subcategories. The selections range from ABC books to bedtime stories and fairy tales, from animal stories to books that portray life around the world. While some classics are included, this book focuses on titles published in the past ten years to ensure their availability. Each listing includes complete bibliographic information as well as suggested grade levels.
- Identifies and describes more than 2,500 picture books and early readers for children ages three to eight
- Organizes titles according to popular reading interests of children—from animal tales and humor to historical fiction and stories of the imagination
- Indicates reading levels and award-winning titles
- Provides multiple points of access through indexes of authors, titles, subjects, and award winners
- Logically organizes titles by genre, subgenre, and theme for ease of use
- Serves as a useful readers' advisory and collection development resource
- Titles that are available in Spanish or bilingual editions are specifically noted