||Current Events and Issues/Gender
Gender Inequality: A Reference Handbook discusses the role women have played throughout human history and play in the modern day, including both advances that have been made in the fight for equality and problems remaining to be solved.
Gender Inequality: A Reference Handbook is divided into two parts. Chapters One and Two provide a historical background to the topic and a review of current issues and problems. The remaining chapters aid readers in continuing their own research on the topic, through an extended annotated bibliography, chronology, glossary, noteworthy individuals and organizations in the field, and important data and documents.
This book covers the topic of gender inequality from the earliest pages of human history to the present day. It differs from other works in the field primarily because of the variety of resources provided, such as further reading, perspective essays on the topic, a historical timeline, and useful terms in the field. It is intended for readers of high school through the community college level, along with adult readers who may be interested in the topic.
- Provides readers with a history of the effects of patriarchy on women, one of the longest lasting and most consequential debates in human history
- Summarizes the status of gender inequality in the modern world, with regard to its presence and effects in a variety of aspects of human life
- Supplies abundant resources for further research on the topic by readers of all ages
- Rounds out the author's expertise through perspective essays, giving readers a diversity of viewpoints on the topic
- Series Description
Contemporary World Issues
This award-winning series offers comprehensive, one-volume reference handbooks on important topics related to health, education, the environment, and social and ethical issues.
24-hour cable news. Millions of Internet sites. Information overload. How can we sort through the information? Assess the analyses? Trust the sources?
A world of questions demands a library of answers. Contemporary World Issues covers the controversial topics that students, readers, and citizens want to read about, write about, and know more about.
- Subject coverage spans six main categories:
- Criminal Justice
- Gender and Ethnicity
- Politics, Law, and Government
- Science, Technology, and Medicine
- Each volume offers a rich array of resources:
- A background and history essay that provides essential context and grounding for further study
- A balanced summary of ongoing controversies and proposed solutions that show numerous paths for further research on pressing, contemporary questions
- A forum of authoritative perspective essays by experts, offering a broad spectrum of arguments on the issues
- Carefully selected annotated documents, tables, and graphs that supports statistical literacy and investigation of primary sources
- A chronology of events, legislation, and movements that place events in sequence and draw connections between them
- Annotated lists of print, Web, and multimedia resources that power the next steps for in-depth research
- Profiles of key players and organizations
- A glossary of key terms
- Author Info