||6 1/8x9 1/4
||Security Studies/U.S. Homeland Security
||Security Studies/U.S. Defense Policy and Programs
A compelling overview of systems and strategies implemented to safeguard U.S. resources from a plethora of threats, the vulnerabilities and security gaps in these infrastructure systems, and options to enable the future security of the homeland.
Since the first edition of this book was published in 2009, significant changes have occurred in the security landscape, both domestically and internationally. This second edition is thoroughly updated to reflect those changes, offering a complete review of the various security and resilience measures currently in place and potential strategies to safeguard life and property within the U.S. homeland.
As noted in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's National Preparedness Goal, the mission area of protection is vital to the homeland in its focus on actions to protect people, vital interests, and our nation's way of life. With that in mind, this book discusses strategies such as risk analysis and assessment, information sharing, and continuity planning. The authors focus on relevant and timely threats and hazards facing specific infrastructure components including, but not limited to, agriculture and food, banking and finance, water, energy, telecommunications, and transportation.
The dynamic posture of critical infrastructure security and resilience (CISR) underscores the importance of an integrated, layered all-hazards approach. In describing this approach, the book includes new chapters on planning and guidance, public and private partnerships, cyber issues and threats, and careers in infrastructure protection. Additions such as discussion questions, learning objectives, and fundamental concepts for each chapter provide additional direction for instructors and students alike.
- Provides a timely, relevant work that is crucial to understanding the current state of U.S. critical infrastructure security and resilience (CISR)
- Offers a comprehensive examination of foundations and contemporary issues within CISR, using various real-world incidents as focusing events
- Analyzes the 16 critical infrastructure sectors for purposes of comparison, analysis, and discussion
- Investigates various threats and hazards—manmade, natural, and technological—that specifically affect CISR
- Summarizes updated federal legislation and doctrine in a clear and concise manner
- Overviews academic, training, and career preparedness resources for those interested in the field
- Includes learning objectives, key terms, and discussion questions in each chapter to facilitate the book's use in an academic environment
- Series Description
Praeger Security International
As the world gets "smaller" through technology and globalization, the security risks we face grow and multiply.
International security in the 21st century is not a topic that can be adequately addressed in nightly news soundbites or online articles intended to be relevant for 24 hours or less. Comprehending these complex issues requires insight from foreign policy specialists, diplomats, military officials, peace scholars, historians, and security experts—participants and observers on all sides of each conflict. This series provides the tools for understanding security issues in our uncertain, unstable world.
Written by subject experts and well-known researchers, the books in the Praeger Security International series give readers access to carefully considered and highly informed viewpoints on the critical security issues that threaten to destabilize our world. With titles authored by diplomats, first responders, economists, journalists, civil servants, military leaders and combatants, legal experts, psychologists, and other knowledgeable specialists, these books offer in-depth reflections, thorough analysis, and international perspectives that are unavailable in mass media. These titles represent an invaluable resource for students and researchers as well as anyone who seeks a deeper understanding of the complex issues that affect our lives and future.
- Provides reliable, comprehensive information on all matters relating to security that is ideal for students, teachers, researchers, and professionals
- Offers insightful commentaries written by a diverse group of scholars and experts who provide interdisciplinary treatments of newsworthy events and important historical occurrences
- Author Info
- Look Inside