The Portable MLIS
Insights from the Experts, 2nd Edition
The past decade has seen huge changes in the services librarians provide, both in the delivery of those services and in the skills required. Fortunately, everything you need to know is now captured in one book.
||Librarianship: Philosophy, Values, and Issues/General
||Management and Administration/General
In this update of the ideal introduction to the library profession, the core competencies of professional librarians are presented in 14 essays supplemented with foundational principles and context.
The original edition of this book gained popularity as a required work for LIS because it uniquely provided a broad, accessible overview of the core curricular areas and foundations for the library profession. What distinguishes the book as an introduction to the work of professional librarians is that it's not just about information in context or about libraries and their mission. Importantly, it also covers the required competencies of professional librarians, laying a firm foundation for future courses.
In this second edition, each chapter has been revised and updated to take into account current thinking and references. As with the first edition, the book is organized around the foundations of the profession and key functional areas. Questions such as how to think like a librarian and how to facilitate community development are specifically and explicitly addressed. In compiling the book, the editors sought out the leading thinkers, educators, and practitioners in each core area as chapter authors. Each of the contributors provides an introduction to the knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with their respective area of expertise, discusses current and emerging applications, and explores trends and issues.
- Updates a core textbook and introduction to the profession that will be useful for almost all LIS programs and new librarians
- Brings together the work of authors who are experts in various core areas
- Provides content based on an analysis of emerging trends and issues
- Includes key resources for further reading
- Author Info
- Table of Contents
1. What is a Library? What is a Librarian: An Introduction
PART I: FOUNDATIONS, VALUES, AND CONTEXT
2. A Portable Library History
3. Professional Ethics and Values in a Changing World
4. Librarians as Active Bystanders: Centering Social Justice in LIS Practice
Nicole A. Cooke
5. Information Seeking
Donald O. Case
6. Careers for the Information Professional
Laura Townsend Kane
7. Where Can You Work with an MLIS? Extending Your Career Reach
PART II: FUNCTIONS AND COMPETENCIES
8. A Conversation on Leadership: Taking Another Look
Mary-Jo Romaniuk and Brooke E. Sheldon
9. The New Manager: What You Need to Know to Achieve Managerial Success in Today’s Libraries
Barbara B. Moran
10. Libraries and Marketing: So Essential But So Misunderstood
11. Developing and Managing Library Collections
Melissa A. Wong
12. Organization and Representation of Information
Arlene G. Taylor and Daniel N. Joudrey
13. Information Retrieval: Designing, Querying, and Evaluating Information Systems
14. Library Information Technology
Win Shih and Deborah Holmes-Wong
15. Reference Service: The Personal Side of Librarianship
David A. Tyckoson
16. Reference Librarians, Online Databases, and an Assist from Google
Christopher C. Brown
17. Readers Advisory Services: Helping Readers Find a “Good Book”
Mary K. Chelton
19. Evaluation: An Introduction to a Crucial Skill
Joseph R. Matthews
PART III: MOVING BEYOND BOUNDARIES
20. LIS Professionals in a Global Society
Barbara J. Ford
21. Issues and Trends
PART IV: APPENDICES
A. Core Values of Librarianship.
B. Code of Ethics.
C. Library Bill of Rights.
D. Freedom to Read Statement.
E. Students’ Bill of Information Rights.
F. Libraries: An American Value.
G. National Information Services.
H. Retention of Library Usage Records.
I. School Library Position Statements.
J. Competencies for Information Professionals.
K. Competencies for Teacher-librarians.
L. Professional Associations.
About the Editors and Contributors
- Look Inside