||Children's and Young Adult Programs/Storytelling, Theory and Practice
||Children's and Young Adult Programs/Reading Promotion and Literacy
Through this book, readers will discover that stories can move the human heart and head in ways that research cannot.
Stories bring together readers, writers, librarians, teachers, students, and families in the libraries of today and will continue to do so tomorrow. Written for all those lovers of literacy, this book links libraries and literacies through the power of stories. The book is not filled with data in the form of pie charts, graphs, and tables. Rather, the truth of the research is grounded in authentic stories that reflect not only the interpretation of data, but also the transformative nature of literacies and libraries. The author's primary goal is that readers will come to value and use storytelling in their own professional and personal lives to explain and expand on complex concepts and to make information more accessible for all.
The book begins by presenting anecdotes and the author's personal story to lay the foundation for what literacies are, and what literacy is not. An activity, "Spiral of Literacy," allows readers to reflect on their own literacies. Chapters that follow each begin with a story that sets the theoretical foundation. Each chapter concludes with an action section that demonstrates how to turn theory to practice, whether you are in a library, a classroom, or at home. A final chapter envisions what libraries might look like in 10 years, through interviews with librarians, teachers, and others interested in literacy.
- Emphasizes the power of story and highlights the many unique paths to literacies
- Shows how stories make complex information about literacies accessible to everyone
- Covers approaches to storytelling and literacies for immigrant communities and children who may speak multiple languages
- Shines a bright light on the significant role of libraries in providing access to books, knowledge, and human connections
- Features photos, images, drawings, and quotes throughout each chapter