||6 1/8x9 1/4
||Politics, Law, and Government/International Relations
A comprehensive overview of counterterrorism that examines key aspects of the fight against terrorism, including intelligence, law enforcement, the military, financial and criminal activity, ethics, and social media.
Recent terrorist actions in the United States and abroad make it clear that the subject of counterterrorism is as vital and as timely as ever. Edited by a leading authority on terrorism and security studies, this compendium offers a wide-ranging look at the most vital aspects of counterterrorism, from diplomacy and military action to the investigation and interdiction of terrorist finances.
Following an introduction, chapters offer insightful discussions of strategy, policy, tactical, and operational dimensions of counterterrorism. An interdisciplinary team of expert contributors examine a wide range of topics, including "lone wolf" and homegrown terrorists, intelligence cooperation, social media, community policing, terrorism finance, and the shadow economy. Case studies from Europe, Latin America, South Asia, the Middle East, and the United States provide clear, practical examples of effective—and sometimes not so effective—approaches to combating terrorism. The volume will serve as a central textbook for professional development courses, workshops, and academic degree programs on terrorism, counterterrorism, and security studies.
- Analyzes critical themes and issues related to the fight against terrorism
- Provides an ideal guide for students and other readers who are new to the study of counterterrorism and national and international security
- Brings together contributors from academia, the military, law enforcement, government and intelligence agencies, and think tanks
- Includes case studies that illustrate key concepts used in successfully combating terrorism
- Series Description
Praeger Security International
As the world gets "smaller" through technology and globalization, the security risks we face grow and multiply.
International security in the 21st century is not a topic that can be adequately addressed in nightly news soundbites or online articles intended to be relevant for 24 hours or less. Comprehending these complex issues requires insight from foreign policy specialists, diplomats, military officials, peace scholars, historians, and security experts—participants and observers on all sides of each conflict. This series provides the tools for understanding security issues in our uncertain, unstable world.
Written by subject experts and well-known researchers, the books in the Praeger Security International series give readers access to carefully considered and highly informed viewpoints on the critical security issues that threaten to destabilize our world. With titles authored by diplomats, first responders, economists, journalists, civil servants, military leaders and combatants, legal experts, psychologists, and other knowledgeable specialists, these books offer in-depth reflections, thorough analysis, and international perspectives that are unavailable in mass media. These titles represent an invaluable resource for students and researchers as well as anyone who seeks a deeper understanding of the complex issues that affect our lives and future.
- Provides reliable, comprehensive information on all matters relating to security that is ideal for students, teachers, researchers, and professionals
- Offers insightful commentaries written by a diverse group of scholars and experts who provide interdisciplinary treatments of newsworthy events and important historical occurrences
- Author Info
"This textbook presents a comprehensive approach to analyzing the components of effective counterterrorism."
- Look Inside