||Health & Wellness/General
This comprehensive encyclopedia provides a thorough overview of the human brain and nervous system—the body's "CPU and data network." It covers basic anatomy and function, diseases and disorders, treatment options, wellness concepts, and key individuals in the fields of neurology and neuroscience.
Written to be accessible to high school and college students and general readers, this three-volume encyclopedia provides a sweeping overview of the brain, nervous system, and their diseases. Bringing together contributions from leading neuroscientists, neurologists, family physicians, psychologists, and public health professionals, the work covers both brain anatomy and function and neurological disorders, addressing how underlying processes—whether biological, developmental, environmental, or neurodegenerative—manifest themselves.
Roughly a third of the entries are about neuroscience and how neurons "talk" to each other in brain circuits to provide normal function. Another group of entries discusses abnormalities or dysfunctions of the brain that develop into disorders or diseases, while a third group focuses on research and experimental procedures commonly used to study the nervous system. The encyclopedia also explores its subject from a wellness perspective, explaining actions that can prevent neurological disorders and injuries and promote general nervous system health. By addressing both ends of the spectrum, the work presents a holistic perspective that will appeal to a broad range of readers.
- Aligns with the Society for Neuroscience national standards and the U.S. National Science Education Standards for high school brain awareness curricula
- Covers the latest neuroscience research at the National Institutes of Health
- Presents biographies of famous scientists who furthered the knowledge of neuroscience and neurology
- Discusses steps readers can take to promote neurological health
- Links to online sources, including documentary films and other videos, to provide students with an immediate way to make the material come alive