||6 1/8x9 1/4
||Children's and Young Adult Programs/General
||Children's and Young Adult Collection Management/Literature, Lists and Special Collections
A one-stop, complete guide to tabletop role-playing games for novice librarians as well as seasoned players.
Tabletop role-playing games (RPGs) are a perfect fit for library teen services. They not only hold great appeal for teen patrons, but also help build important skills ranging from math and literacy to leadership and dramatics. Role-playing games are cost-effective too. Dragons in the Stacks explains why RPGs are so effective at holding teenagers' attention, identifies their specific benefits, outlines how to select and maintain a RPG collection, and demonstrates how they can enhance teen services and be used in teen programs. Detailed reviews of role-playing games are included as well, with pointers on their strengths, weaknesses, and library applications. Coauthored by an experienced young adult librarian and an adult services librarian, this is the definitive guide to RPGs in the library, and the only one currently available.
- Discusses collection development, cataloging, and programs for teens
- Supplies detailed reviews of scores of popular and less well-known role-playing games
- Outlines a variety of affordable, effective programs for teens that involve role-playing tabletop games
- Author Info
- Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: Let Me Tell You of the Days of High Adventure!; or, A Very Brief (and Admittedly Incomplete) History of Tabletop Role-Playing GamesChapter 2: Selection and Collection DevelopmentChapter 3: CatalogingChapter 4: ProgrammingChapter 5: Guide to the Games
- Appendix A: Games Listed by Genre TagsAppendix B: ResourcesIndex
". . . [E]xcellent, user-friendly resource, especially recommended for librarians interested in incorporating table-top role-playing into the library's schedule of youth activities!"
"For libraries looking to get started in programming gaming, this is a valuable resource."
"[Librarians] who are just experimenting with the medium will see [this] as an invaluable guide, and even those seasoned pros could use it as a handy desk reference."
ENnie Awards Judges' Spotlight Winner — EN World