||Geography and World Cultures/Countries and Regions
Ideal for high school and undergraduate students, this one-stop reference explores everything that makes up modern Brazil, including its geography, politics, pop culture, social media, daily life, and much more.
Home to the 2014 FIFA World Cup and the 2016 Summer Olympic Games—and one of the world's fastest-growing economies—Brazil is quickly becoming a prominent player on the international stage. This book captures the essence of the nation and its people in a unique, topically organized volume. Narrative chapters written by expert contributors examine geography, history, government and politics, economics, society, culture, and contemporary issues, making Brazil an ideal one-stop reference for high school and undergraduate students.
Coverage on religion, ethnicity, marriage and sexuality, education, literature and drama, art and architecture, music and dance, food, leisure and sport, and media provides a comprehensive look at this giant South American country—the largest nation in Latin America as well as the fifth largest nation in the world. Students will be engaged by up-to-the-minute coverage of topics such as daily life, social media, and pop culture in Brazil. Sidebars and photos highlight interesting facts and people, while a glossary, a chart of holidays, and an annotated bibliography round out the work.
- Provides a one-stop reference for students of geography, world cultures, anthropology, social studies, current events, and Latin American studies
- Differs from other works in that it combines coverage of the geography, history, politics, and economy of Brazil with entries on society, culture, and contemporary issues
- Includes a Facts and Figures section and Holidays chart that provides readers with a quick overview of Brazil
- Covers hot, new topics such as social media, Internet use, and consumer culture
- Series Description
Nations in Focus
How did Poland and Slovakia avoid a GDP recession during the worldwide financial crisis of 2007–08—the only two member nations of the European Union to do so? What are the historic origins of the ongoing strife and tension in the Middle East, and what new developments and factors are adding to the discord in the 21st century? How are the lives of the Chinese people changing as China rapidly expands its economy and its international role? Students, travelers, business people, and policymakers have questions like these. ABC-CLIO’s Nations in Focus provides the answers.
Titles within ABC-CLIO’s Nations in Focus collection provide fascinating and informative portraits of nations large and small that play key roles in global and regional affairs.
ABC-CLIO’s groundbreaking Nations in Focus explores many of the world's most intriguing and important countries, combining fascinating details with an insider’s eye for defining characteristics. The series helps students, business people, and travelers understand the richness and complexity of each individual country—and appreciate its key role in the global community.
Nations in Focus brings readers up to date with each nation’s history, geography, politics, economics, and contemporary issues. Offering unprecedented coverage on economic, cultural, and societal topics, the volumes provide analysis on issues of ethnicity, religion, gender, and education, as well as leisure, sports, and popular culture. The depth of content is complemented by a richly illustrated format that helps bring the topic to life.
- Helps build a deeper understanding of countries that play major regional and global roles
- Counters common myths and misconceptions with in-depth, factual materials that convey the richness and complexity of each country
- Provides a context for understanding the everyday life of people in foreign countries that is essential for students and others seeking to learn more about the world's nations
- A series of narrative chapters on history, geography, politics, society, culture, and more
- A chronology of key historical developments up to the present
- Sidebars on key biographies, places, and events
- A Facts and Figures section providing statistical data on a variety of important topics
- Information on culturally significant holidays and events
- More than 100 photographs per title
- A directory of business, cultural, government, and tourist organizations
- An annotated bibliography of key print and nonprint resources
- Glossary sections defining important terms and concepts
- Author Info
"Overall, a useful and handy guide. Summing Up: Recommended. Lower-division undergraduates; general readers."
Top Community College Resource, September 2016
"This work provides insightful background on a complex, emerging nation."
- Look Inside