||6 1/8x9 1/4
A must-read for anyone seeking to understand the complex issues surrounding energy generation and use, this one-of-a-kind resource clarifies everything from the basic structure of the industry to the potential—and risks—of new technologies.
Energy is a critical public concern in the 21st century, spurring demand for reliable, easy-to-understand information on subjects as varied as the drivers of prices, the potential for new technologies, the implications of a more diverse energy-supply portfolio, and the way government policies affect the energy marketplace. All of those issues and more are covered in this unique, two-volume compendium.
Traditional energy sources such as oil, coal, and natural gas are explored in volume one and new and emerging energy sources are addressed in volume two. Each chapter provides a brief history of the energy source, describes how it functions, and examines market issues, government regulations, and environmental and community impacts. The work discusses energy security and energy independence, efficiency standards, and carbon policy as well as consumer-focused technologies such as energy storage options, smart appliances and homes, and electric cars. Readers will come away from this guide with an understanding of the energy industry and an appreciation of the ways government, industry, and society can manage both risks and benefits.
- Provides students, teachers, and the public with a single reference point on the entire energy industry and the opportunity to compare and contrast energy choices
- Discusses economic, environmental, and community contexts as well as the history of each covered energy source, traditional and alternative
- Raises critical economic, national security, and environmental issues, including our ability to rely on traditional resources such as oil, coal, natural gas, and uranium in the future
- Includes entries from the perspectives of industry insiders, environmentalists, indigenous people, and community activists
- Describes energy markets, government support, and environmental impact by energy source
- Author Info
"Recommended. All students and general readers."
"Numerous contributors from a variety of backgrounds contribute thought-provoking essays raising issues of population, sustainability, national security, the role of government, and more, all of which impact both the global research and consumption of energy. . . . This set is recommended for general readers as well as students, high school and above."
- Look Inside