Engaging in Evaluation and Assessment Research
Evaluation and assessment are integral parts of the research process. Research is something that all library managers need to know how to do, but the evaluation and assessment results are only valuable if they also understand how to apply them to managerial decision-making, planning, and communication with library stakeholders.
||Research Methods, Statistics, and Data/Research Methods
||Management and Administration/Assessment and Evaluation of Services
For library managers, this book explains evaluation and assessment research and identifies the components of proper execution, such as planning, decision making, and accountability.
Increasingly, libraries must address questions of accountability, efficiency, effectiveness, and impact—the extent to which a program causes positive changes in the target population. All of these issues are important to library managers and those to whom they directly report. With the heightened interest in customer expectations and increased focus on service quality and customer satisfaction, evaluation and assessment research provides the essential methodology for library managers to obtain meaningful answers.
Engaging in Evaluation and Assessment Research introduces evaluation and assessment, clearly distinguishing between the two; explains evaluation and assessment research as a formal inquiry process with individual components; and demonstrates the use of the evidence gathered for planning, decision making, and accountability. This book is not another research methods textbook; it is a resource that will provide real knowledge and strategies to expand the library manager's toolkit for operating in the real world. Beyond exposing the reader to the unique culture of research and to different ways of conducting research, the authors also offer advice on how to get published.
- Tables and figures enhance the written text and identify supplemental readings
- Appendices offer learning tools such as an example of a research study and a case study
- Written by acknowledged authorities on the topic of evaluation and assessment research
- Provides original text that places the topic in the context of known literature
- Presents foundational assistance to librarians that is a perfect complement to Libraries Unlimited's Viewing Library Metrics from Different Perspectives