A Guide to the Issues
Geography is more important than ever in an increasingly globalized world, one in which economic, environmental, and international security events can dramatically affect national and international economic performance and personal living standards. What are the hot issues—and the hotspots—that make an understanding of geopolitics so important?
||6 1/8x9 1/4
||Security Studies/International and Transnational Security
This concise introduction to the growth and evolution of geopolitics as a discipline includes biographical information on its leading historical and contemporary practitioners and detailed analysis of its literature.
An important book on a topic that has been neglected for too long, Geopolitics: A Guide to the Issues will provide readers with an enhanced understanding of how geography influences personal, national, and international economics, politics, and security. The work begins with the history of geopolitics from the late 19th century to the present, then discusses the intellectual renaissance the discipline is experiencing today due to the prevalence of international security threats involving territorial, airborne, space-based, and waterborne possession and acquisition.
The book emphasizes current and emerging international geopolitical trends, examining how the U.S. and other countries, including Australia, Brazil, China, India, and Russia, are integrating geopolitics into national security planning. It profiles international geopolitical scholars and their work, and it analyzes emerging academic, military, and governmental literature, including "gray" literature and social networking technologies, such as blogs and Twitter.
- Biographies of major current geopolitical scholars and descriptions and listings of their works
- Maps of geopolitical crisis areas, such as Afghanistan/Pakistan, the South China Sea, and the Straits of Malacca
- Quotations from various government and military primary source documents
- A glossary of geopolitical terms
- A bibliography of international scholarly resources, including government and military documents
- Examines historical, current, and emerging geopolitical research developments and governmental geopolitical policymaking, as well as emerging geopolitical hotspots and crisis areas around the world
- Offers global coverage and interdisciplinary analysis reflecting viewpoints of multiple countries
- Conveys the importance of foreign economic, environmental, and international security, and political developments to our personal lives and economic situations and to national economics, environmental policy, politics, and security
- Examines the increasing global relevance of geopolitics in interdisciplinary global scholarly literature, foreign policy formulation, and national security and natural resources policymaking
- Demonstrates that geopolitical concerns drive the aerospace, land, and maritime policies of countries around the world
- Series Description
Praeger Security International
As the world gets "smaller" through technology and globalization, the security risks we face grow and multiply.
International security in the 21st century is not a topic that can be adequately addressed in nightly news soundbites or online articles intended to be relevant for 24 hours or less. Comprehending these complex issues requires insight from foreign policy specialists, diplomats, military officials, peace scholars, historians, and security experts—participants and observers on all sides of each conflict. This series provides the tools for understanding security issues in our uncertain, unstable world.
Written by subject experts and well-known researchers, the books in the Praeger Security International series give readers access to carefully considered and highly informed viewpoints on the critical security issues that threaten to destabilize our world. With titles authored by diplomats, first responders, economists, journalists, civil servants, military leaders and combatants, legal experts, psychologists, and other knowledgeable specialists, these books offer in-depth reflections, thorough analysis, and international perspectives that are unavailable in mass media. These titles represent an invaluable resource for students and researchers as well as anyone who seeks a deeper understanding of the complex issues that affect our lives and future.
- Provides reliable, comprehensive information on all matters relating to security that is ideal for students, teachers, researchers, and professionals
- Offers insightful commentaries written by a diverse group of scholars and experts who provide interdisciplinary treatments of newsworthy events and important historical occurrences
- Author Info
"This volume will be useful for undergraduate and graduate collections that support programs in political geography, history, international studies, and political science. Summing Up: Recommended."
- Look Inside