The Big6 Workshop Handbook
Implementation and Impact, 4th Edition
Today's students need information literacy skills more than ever before. While essential skills did include reading, writing, and arithmetic, there is now an essential fourth "R"—Research! "Research" means "information literacy," and the best way to teach it is using the Big6 approach.
||Librarian's Instructional Role/Information Literacy and Instruction, K-12
This latest spiral-bound edition of The Big6 Workshop Handbook contains information that is current and essential to understanding and implementing this premier information literacy model.
The Big6 was first developed in 1987 as a simple, flexible, and broadly applicable approach to teaching and learning essential information literacy skills. At its most fundamental level, the Big6 is a six-stage process model for information problem-solving and decision-making. For over 20 years, the successful Big6 formula has been constantly expanded and refined with the input of thousands of teachers and many more students—in both public and private education settings.
Today's latest incarnation of The Big6 Workshop Handbook includes the Super3 process; using the Big6 to teach technology skills; integration with subject area curricula, assessment, and standardized testing; connecting with national, state, and school district standards; and micro and macro-level planning. Everyone from classroom teachers and teacher librarians to administrators and parents will find it invaluable.
- This latest, Fourth Edition contains updated worksheets and training exercises, a major revision of the section on the Super3, expanded lists of resources, and a new chapter on integrating Big6 Skills with state and national curriculum standards
- Includes valuable teaching materials such as worksheets, sample skills by unit matrix, services by unit matrix, Big6 curriculum annual timeline planner, parents exercises, Big6 planning forms, and an evaluation form
- Features a spiral-bound construction that makes this handbook even easier to use and refer to than before
- Now in its fourth edition, this workshop handbook is tested and proven many times over, offering practical and immediately useful information
- Contains an entire section focused on technology in education, and how to use technology in a meaningful way through its integration within the Big6 framework
- For those who want to implement the leading information literacy model, this book provides the essentials for in-depth planning and effective implementation
- Author Info
"Educators will find this edition of the Big6 Handbook to be essential in helping develop information literacy skills and put them into practice. . . . Whether one is using Big6 for the first time, or well versed but seeking to stay current with the latest concepts, this volume will support and expand instructional efforts."