The Palestine Liberation Organization
Terrorism and Prospects for Peace in the Holy Land
The PLO has evolved since its creation in 1964, at times indicating that it is amenable to the creation of a two-state resolution for Jews and Arabs to ease hostilities in the region. Yet in recent years Palestinian leaders have indicated that the activities of the PLO will not cease until all of Palestine has been liberated.
||6 1/8x9 1/4
This meticulous and in-depth book chronicles the evolution of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO)—one of the most powerful and influential terrorist organizations in modern Middle Eastern politics and world affairs.
The Palestine Liberation Organization continues to exert considerable influence in Middle Eastern politics: ongoing hostilities between Palestinian militants and the state of Israel have affected the region significantly and continue to threaten prospects for a lasting peace. The PLO has expanded over time to encompass numerous factions that share the vision of liberating the Palestinian homeland, with aspirations for governing through self-determination. And with the PLO's financial assets estimated at $8–10 billion, it has the monetary clout to help determine the direction of affairs in the region.
This book provides a thorough and systematic analysis of the historical events which culminated in the creation of the Palestine Liberation Organization. It begins with an introduction to key people, places, and events in the history of the PLO that includes the organization's creation and ideological foundations, its support base, financial structure, and recruitment strategies. Later topics include the PLO's role in the politics and affairs of specific countries, including Jordan and Lebanon; recent trends in its existence; and its evolution into being a terrorist organization.
- A timeline of key events precedes each chapter
- Numerous illustrations in the form of timelines, charts, and tables
- Cartographical maps depict relevant geographic areas, including a larger map of the Middle East and more focused maps on Egypt, Syria, Israel, and Southern Lebanon
- An appendix contains references to important peace agreements and documents, and provides locations for these resources online
- Comprehensively analyzes the history of the PLO, including an explanation of the timeline of events which began in ancient times and culminated in the creation of the PLO
- Chronicles in detail how the PLO became an organization of terror and a political force in Middle Eastern affairs
- Examines the specific events and acts of terror used by the PLO throughout its existence
- Provides the most up-to-date information on the conflict between Fatah and Hamas forces and the State of Israel, the third Palestinian intifada, and efforts to resolve the conflict through peace negotiations
- Series Description
Praeger Security International
As the world gets "smaller" through technology and globalization, the security risks we face grow and multiply.
International security in the 21st century is not a topic that can be adequately addressed in nightly news soundbites or online articles intended to be relevant for 24 hours or less. Comprehending these complex issues requires insight from foreign policy specialists, diplomats, military officials, peace scholars, historians, and security experts—participants and observers on all sides of each conflict. This series provides the tools for understanding security issues in our uncertain, unstable world.
Written by subject experts and well-known researchers, the books in the Praeger Security International series give readers access to carefully considered and highly informed viewpoints on the critical security issues that threaten to destabilize our world. With titles authored by diplomats, first responders, economists, journalists, civil servants, military leaders and combatants, legal experts, psychologists, and other knowledgeable specialists, these books offer in-depth reflections, thorough analysis, and international perspectives that are unavailable in mass media. These titles represent an invaluable resource for students and researchers as well as anyone who seeks a deeper understanding of the complex issues that affect our lives and future.
- Provides reliable, comprehensive information on all matters relating to security that is ideal for students, teachers, researchers, and professionals
- Offers insightful commentaries written by a diverse group of scholars and experts who provide interdisciplinary treatments of newsworthy events and important historical occurrences
- Author Info
- Look Inside