Nike was founded with a mere $1,000 investment by two individuals with limited business experience—runner Phil Knight and running coach Bill Bowerman. Now the world's leading supplier of athletic shoes and apparel with annual revenues approaching $20 billion, Nike is a paradigm of what entrepreneurial spirit, relentless evolution and improvement, and effective marketing can accomplish.
||6 1/8x9 1/4
This compelling book provides a comprehensive examination of Nike, utilizing never-before-heard interviews with top sports celebrities and the informed perspectives of marketing gurus to explain why Nike has ruled the sports world for more than four decades.
Nike's immortal "Just Do It" slogan is displayed at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC. The company's pioneering use of athlete endorsements as the foundation of its marketing and its dedication to incorporating advanced technology and materials in its products has forever changed the world of sports. Amazingly, what is now Nike sprang from the humblest beginnings—two runners with a passion for improving the sport willing to sell shoes out of their cars at track meets.
This book provides a comprehensive analysis of the company, giving readers a full appreciation of its fascinating history and the attributes and strategies that have helped Nike outlast its competitors. Material derived from interviews with star athletes and marketing experts lend additional insight into the Nike phenomenon.
- Contains one-on-one interviews with star athletes, coaches, marketing experts, and business executives that showcase the power and influence of Nike
- Provides a vivid chronology depicting the company's modest beginnings, the creation of its early technology, the birth of memorable advertising campaigns, endorsement deals with sports celebrities, controversy about child labor allegations, noteworthy recognition for supporting social and environmental causes, and Nike's future
- Includes photographs of Nike co-founders Bill Bowerman and Phil Knight, as well as Nike-sponsored athletes such as Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson, Michael Jordan, John McEnroe, Serena Williams, Didier Drogba, Lance Armstrong, and Tiger Woods
- A helpful index makes it easy to locate celebrities' comments within the text and to track the many Nike technologies used since the company's inception
- Brings the Nike success story to life for students in middle school, high school, and college, as well as the general public and individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Provides revealing interviews with several of today's most popular athletes, including Adrian Peterson of the Minnesota Vikings and Steve Nash of the Phoenix Suns, as well as two of today's top-rated collegiate coaches, Duke University basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski and Ohio State University football coach Jim Tressel
- Presents in-depth analysis from two of the country's top marketing experts explaining why Nike's advertising campaigns are effective and the company's reasons for supporting Tiger Woods during the controversy over his extramarital affairs
- Illuminates Nike's trademark resourcefulness and its no-holds-barred attitude regarding new product creation
- Includes a special look at Nike's involvement and influence in college sports
- Series Description
Corporations That Changed the World
Google. Toyota. Harley-Davidson. Apple. These companies and the others in the Corporations That Changed the World Series all have one thing in common: They changed the way we live, and even the way we think. And each has been an industry pathfinder that enabled many other companies to succeed.
Each book in the series:
- Explains how the company changed the way we live, work, enjoy leisure, communicate, drive, or shop.
- Details each company's history, innovations and competitive advantage, missteps, financial results, and future prospects.
- Spotlights entrepreneurs and the methods they used to achieve stellar results.
- Provides timelines for context, trivia for fun, case studies for learning, and executive biographies for interest and profit.
Corporations That Changed the World: Perfect for students doing research projects, budding moguls who'd like to follow in the footsteps of Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, entrepreneurs looking for insights or secrets of success, managers searching for profitable strategies, and anyone who wants the scoop on companies that create products they can't live without.
- Author Info