A Reference Handbook
James Bond 007. Secret service agent, sex symbol, and possibly the most successful action hero of all time. From the American Revolution and the Cold War, to the Israeli/Palestinian conflict and modern day terrorism, spies have captivated and confounded people all over the world. Why is espionage so abhorrent, yet so universal?
A unique exploration into the fascinating world of human and technological espionage, its contributions to national security, and its vital role in global politics.
Espionage: A Reference Handbook illuminates the murky underworld of espionage and counterespionage efforts in the United States and around the world. Combining an academic treatment of the causes and forces that shape espionage with narrative accounts of how spying and spy catching are conducted, this is the only work of its kind to cover Benedict Arnold, J. Edgar Hoover, the CIA, the KGB, and Jay Pollard, all in one volume.
Though special attention is focused on the American experience, British, Soviet, and Israeli cases are presented, along with recent world events of terrorism and ethnic conflict, providing a unique comparative perspective on the international forces behind spying.
- Includes an annotated chronology of key events surrounding 20th-century espionage including individual cases of espionage, organizational developments, and important domestic and international events that provide a context for understanding espionage
- Provides a selected annotated bibliography of resources arranged by format: books, journal articles, government documents, and electronic sources
- Profiles key spies, spy catchers, and spy searchers such as Joseph McCarthy, Aldrich Ames, and Julius and Ethel Rosenberg
- Explores the need for espionage, how it has evolved over the years, and the key role that early warning plays in preventing military surprises
- Speculates on the future structure and need for the CIA
- Series Description
Contemporary World Issues
This award-winning series offers comprehensive, one-volume reference handbooks on important topics related to health, education, the environment, and social and ethical issues.
24-hour cable news. Millions of Internet sites. Information overload. How can we sort through the information? Assess the analyses? Trust the sources?
A world of questions demands a library of answers. Contemporary World Issues covers the controversial topics that students, readers, and citizens want to read about, write about, and know more about.
- Subject coverage spans six main categories:
- Criminal Justice
- Gender and Ethnicity
- Politics, Law, and Government
- Science, Technology, and Medicine
- Each volume offers a rich array of resources:
- A background and history essay that provides essential context and grounding for further study
- A balanced summary of ongoing controversies and proposed solutions that show numerous paths for further research on pressing, contemporary questions
- A forum of authoritative perspective essays by experts, offering a broad spectrum of arguments on the issues
- Carefully selected annotated documents, tables, and graphs that supports statistical literacy and investigation of primary sources
- A chronology of events, legislation, and movements that place events in sequence and draw connections between them
- Annotated lists of print, Web, and multimedia resources that power the next steps for in-depth research
- Profiles of key players and organizations
- A glossary of key terms
- Author Info
"One of the book's strengths is its selection of excerpts from American documents and statements regarding the establishment of major agencies and their activities . . . Hastedt provides, in small accessible segments, a broad perspective on an aspect of American history only cursorily mentioned in traditional social studies classes."
"[Y]et another addition to the admirable Contemporary World Issues series published by ABC-CLIO. These books are all available in both print and e-book versions. They are organized in a uniform format, are attractively produced, and are filled with useful information for those interested in learning more about the issues addressed by each volume . . . Once again, ABC-CLIO has succeeded in contracting with a well-qualified scholar to produce a thoroughly useful reference volume on an important and interesting issue."