||Popular Culture/Sports, Recreation, and Leisure
An authoritative, one stop overview of the history of sports in Britain from the earliest times to the present.
This remarkable volume should become the standard reference source for the history of British sport. It covers the sociology and psychology of sports, major events such as the cricket Test Matches and Wimbledon, key issues such as racism and drugs, and sport in drama, literature, and the media.
- Contains over 300 entries covering individual sports, sporting controversies, issues and concepts, key individuals, famous clubs, competitions, events, and incidents
- Comprehensive introduction
- Detailed chronology
- Bibliography and illustrations
- An authoritative reference source written by some of the leading experts in British sports history
- Provides comprehensive coverage and examines both the history and contemporary position of British sport in a wider social, economic, and cultural context
- Author Info
"An excellent reference source. . . . Recommended for public libraries serving communities interested in British sports."