Guides to Subcultures and Countercultures
Each volume explores a specific group's origins and historical context, the ideas and actions that set it apart from mainstream society, the language and lifestyles that brought unity to its members, and the unmistakable mark each made on the nation. It is an extraordinary opportunity for students and interested readers to consider divergent and sometimes repellent beliefs and lifestyles—from the terrifying Ku Klux Klan to the more peacefully rebellious hippies—and to encounter alternative accounts of some of the most intense and complex moments in American history.
• Shows the lasting impact of groups that existed well outside the mainstream of American society
• Draws on a wealth of contemporaneous primary sources as well as current interviews with central figures of each subculture or counterculture
• Offers a timeline of significant events related to the counterculture
• Offers a bibliography of print and nonprint resources for student research
• Includes glossaries, including slang for each group
• Showcases sidebars of interesting facts and personalities