A unique two-volume examination of the progress women have made in achieving political equality, Women and Politics around the World addresses both transnational and gender-related issues as well as specific conditions in more than 20 countries.
Women have made some progress toward equal political representation in the United States and around the world, but true equality may be a long way away. Though women represent more than half of the world's population, they account for only 15 percent of its elected officials, and their particular concerns often go unaddressed in the political arena.
Women and Politics around the World: A Comparative History and Survey is an exploration of the role of women in political systems worldwide, as well as an examination of how government actions in various countries have an impact on the lives of the female population.
Women and Politics around the World divides its coverage into two volumes. The first looks at such crucial issues facing women today as health policy, civil rights, and education, comparing conditions around the world. The second volume profiles 22 different countries, representing a broad range of governments, economies, and cultures. Each profile looks at the history and current state of women’s political and economic participation in a particular country, and includes an in-depth look at a representative policy. The result is a resource unlike any other—one that gives students, researchers, and other interested readers a fresh new way of investigating a truly global issue.
• Topical essays on a broad range of gender-related policy issues, written by international scholars
• Focused explorations of women's political and economic progress in more than 20 individual countries
• More than 70 photographs of both elected officials and women from all walks of life in countries around the world
• More than 50 tables and charts presenting relevant data
• Approximately 20 sidebars with additional in-depth coverage of important policy trends and events
• Provides a unique contemporary overview of women and politics from a global perspective
• Highlights the spectrum of women's political representation in various countries and political systems
• Addresses crucial issues facing women including labor force participation, human trafficking, poverty, and more
• Serves as a convenient, authoritative source of topics for papers and debates