This essential guide provides professional development resources for library staff at every phase of their career—from those just entering the field, to paraprofessionals building a career trajectory, to seasoned librarians looking to explore additional career options.
Like most industries in a volatile economy, the field of library and information science faces constant change, prompting those new to the profession—as well as established professionals—to question which career route will offer the greatest opportunity. This book guides users to the information resources that will help them to make smart career choices.
Thousands of students graduate with a Master of Library and Information Science degree every year. Unfortunately, budget cuts at libraries diminish available job opportunities and prompt administrators to hire less qualified—and less expensive—professionals. However, armed with the right information, library science professionals can successfully build and sustain a resilient library and information science (LIS) career inside—or outside—the traditional library setting.
LIS Career Sourcebook: Managing and Maximizing Every Step of Your Career provides a chapter-by-chapter overview of key career stages and strategies, and identifies for each the best information resources to help readers develop a successful LIS career. The author lays out the typical stages that workers are likely to encounter as they move through their professional life, highlighting important issues associated with each stage and providing insights and resources for making smart career choices along the way. Covering the entire career lifespan from entry level to retirement, the resources cited will help readers make informed choices about career options, professional development, and personal career satisfaction.
• A career lifecycle approach to building a career in the library and information sciences field
• Practical guidance and resources for every stage of a career
• Resource annotations detail the importance of a particular source
• A comprehensive list of resources for further reading
• Offers practical strategies for creating a rewarding career path
• Addresses topics such as creating a professional brand, building a professional network, and job hunting
• Explores alternative career paths, including entrepreneurship, and describes the information resources available to support those career choices
• Identifies hundreds of the best topical information resources, both print and online, that readers can immediately turn to as they encounter career transition points and opportunities
• Broadens the universe of best-in-class knowledge to encompass resources from the LIS field, as well as from other relevant disciplines