This abundant, comprehensive encyclopedia is the first stop for information on women's contribution to American religion.
Want to start an argument? Just raise the issue of women and their role in religion: Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, Jew, pagan, atheist. From abortion to ordination, no theological issue is more fraught with controversy, and for three centuries American women have been at the heart of the debate.
• Over 300 A–Z entries, many with illustrations, from abortion and birth control to peace movements and witchcraft
• Biographies of key figures such as Dorothea Dix, Margaret Fuller, Shirley MacLaine, and Sojourner Truth
• Entry bibliographies and cross references
• Detailed chronology
• Coverage of religions and religious groups such as Baptists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Muslims, and Roman Catholics as well as ethnic groups such as African Americans and Hispanics
• Details hot-button issues such as abortion, birth control, censorship, cults, and feminist theology
• Spotlights movements such as ecofeminism, the Great Awakening, Pentecostalism, witchcraft, and women's studies
• Coverage of organizations such as Concerned Women for America, Hadassah, the National Black Sisters' Conference, Promise Keepers/Praise Keepers, and the Young Women's Christian Association