This provocative book examines the important issues in contemporary debates on sexual orientation—from our various religious beliefs to our stereotypes about homosexuals, from questions about the origin of sexual orientation to the lessons we can learn from history.
Evidence tells us that same-sex behaviors in protohumans date as far back as five million years ago. Despite that longevity—and despite the fact that every tenth headline today seems to be linked to battles around sexual orientation—as a culture we remain ill informed about the topic. How can we go beyond the sound bites to deeper understanding?
Queer Questions, Clear Answers: The Contemporary Debates on Sexual Orientation offers an eye-opening conversation about questions, facts—and fears—relative to sexual orientation. The book is framed around a series of nine sets of "queer questions," including, Who is queer and who is not? How do we interpret and use sacred scriptures to control behavior and set public policy? What lessons can we learn from history and psychology? and What is the homosexual agenda?
The author, himself a gay man and prominent academic, combines cross-disciplinary research and personal anecdotes in his intriguing search for answers to questions that are central to ongoing cultural and political debates. In discussing each set of questions, he examines perspectives and arguments from across the political spectrum. The clear, articulate, and wholly candid answers he offers will help readers get beyond the headlines—and the sound bites—to better understand many important arguments about homosexuality and human rights.
• Presents nine sets of questions central to the ongoing cultural debates on sexual orientation
• Includes personal anecdotes
• Provides data drawn from cross-disciplinary research
• Provides a thoughtful, well-researched, and completely candid discussion of the most critical issues in our debates about sexual orientation
• Uses current research and personal narratives to answer the most common questions about homosexuality
• Presents serious scholarship from across disciplines in an understandable and, at times, irreverent format
• Represents all sides to the arguments fairly and objectively