This meticulous and in-depth book chronicles the evolution of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO)—one of the most powerful and influential terrorist organizations in modern Middle Eastern politics and world affairs.
The PLO has evolved since its creation in 1964, at times indicating that it is amenable to the creation of a two-state resolution for Jews and Arabs to ease hostilities in the region. Yet in recent years Palestinian leaders have indicated that the activities of the PLO will not cease until all of Palestine has been liberated.
The Palestine Liberation Organization continues to exert considerable influence in Middle Eastern politics: ongoing hostilities between Palestinian militants and the state of Israel have affected the region significantly and continue to threaten prospects for a lasting peace. The PLO has expanded over time to encompass numerous factions that share the vision of liberating the Palestinian homeland, with aspirations for governing through self-determination. And with the PLO's financial assets estimated at $8–10 billion, it has the monetary clout to help determine the direction of affairs in the region.
This book provides a thorough and systematic analysis of the historical events which culminated in the creation of the Palestine Liberation Organization. It begins with an introduction to key people, places, and events in the history of the PLO that includes the organization's creation and ideological foundations, its support base, financial structure, and recruitment strategies. Later topics include the PLO's role in the politics and affairs of specific countries, including Jordan and Lebanon; recent trends in its existence; and its evolution into being a terrorist organization.
• A timeline of key events precedes each chapter
• Numerous illustrations in the form of timelines, charts, and tables
• Cartographical maps depict relevant geographic areas, including a larger map of the Middle East and more focused maps on Egypt, Syria, Israel, and Southern Lebanon
• An appendix contains references to important peace agreements and documents, and provides locations for these resources online
• Comprehensively analyzes the history of the PLO, including an explanation of the timeline of events which began in ancient times and culminated in the creation of the PLO
• Chronicles in detail how the PLO became an organization of terror and a political force in Middle Eastern affairs
• Examines the specific events and acts of terror used by the PLO throughout its existence
• Provides the most up-to-date information on the conflict between Fatah and Hamas forces and the State of Israel, the third Palestinian intifada, and efforts to resolve the conflict through peace negotiations