One was an accomplished duelist. One was a lifelong bachelor while another was married in the White House. One needed a wheelchair while another could have played professional football. And one became the first of African American heritage to hold the office. These are among the men elected president of the United States, and the time in office for each is a distinctive chapter in the American story.
This engaging and authoritative four-volume resource offers fascinating portrayals of the 44 men who have achieved the ultimate seat of power in the United States—the presidency.
From George Washington to Barack Obama, Chronology of the U.S. Presidency portrays each of the nation's chief executives in richly observed detail. Chapter by chapter, we meet the real flesh-and-blood men occupying the one office elected by the entire country, the office that most profoundly affects the workings of the government, U.S. relations with other countries, and the everyday lives of all American citizens.
Spanning four volumes, this work covers each president's early life and rise to power, the pivotal events during his presidency, and when applicable, his post-presidential life. In addition, the book includes sections on the First Ladies and presidential families plus primary source documents (speeches, memos, messages to Congress), and entertaining FYI facts—for example, once bitter rivals John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died hours apart, on the 50th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence they helped create together. More than just names-and-dates history, Chronology of the U.S. Presidency helps readers understand the ways each of these intriguing men changed the country, and how he in turn was impacted by his time in power.
• 44 chapters, one for each chief executive of the United States, covering their lives before, during, and when relevant, after their time in office
• 35 contributors, each an accomplished scholar on the president whose life they portray
• Primary documents section in every chapter, including State of the Union addresses, proclamations, famous memos, legislation, and more
• A chronology of key events for each president
• Bibliographies for each chapter, plus a cumulative bibliography at the end
• Brings together, in one convenient authoritative resource, concise yet detailed biographies of the 44 men who attained the office of President of the United States
• Shows the impact of each president on the nation and the world during his time in office
• Goes beyond official actions to look at the personalities and family lives of each president
• Emphasizes the manner in which each president responded to major events and crises while he was chief executive