This book provides a one-stop introduction to the history, culture, and personalities of Hungary, a fascinating country located at the heart of Europe and born at the crossroads of civilizations.
The Kingdom of Hungary existed with some interruptions in its homeland on the Carpathian basin for over 900 years, battling, conquering, and forming alliances with its neighboring kingdoms. Hungary’s remarkable heritage includes eminence in literature, music, architecture, philosophy, natural science, and political thought, making up a unique contribution to European culture.
Hungary today is most certainly a Central European nation in terms of a modern geopolitical and cultural understanding of Europe. Additionally, it has occupied a central position in the constellation of European kingdoms for centuries. The story of Hungary is about a country at the heart of Europe, geographically as well as culturally, and of a people quite distinct from their eastern and western neighbors yet irrevocably intertwined with them in terms of their histories and futures. Culture and Customs of Hungary is an absolute must-have for high school, public, and undergraduate library bookshelves.
Readers will explore Hungary's fascinating contemporary life and culture in this unique and all-encompassing reference work that highlights the most important Hungarian historical personalities and explains their role in the development of Hungarian culture and society, as well as their standing in modern Hungary. Topics covered include history; art, including literature, architecture, film, and music; customs and traditions; modern society and culture; media; gender roles; language; and religion.
• A chronology of key events in Hungarian history starting with the first traces of human existence through modern day
• Photographs ranging from Hungary's outstanding personalities to customs and traditions
• A bibliography of selected works on major aspects of Hungary's culture
• A glossary explains key terms concisely
• Presents the relevant historical and contemporary information for understanding modern Hungary in a single title
• Offers insight into the most important aspects of Hungarian culture and society
• Allows researchers to choose to focus upon a thematic area about Hungary, while still providing ready access to a comprehensive wealth of information about this nation