School librarians need to provide leadership in technology, literacy, curriculum, advocacy, vision, intellectual freedom, collaborative instruction, and more. Each of these areas is equally important in ensuring a school library program that will enhance and encourage student achievement.
School librarians are called upon to provide leadership in many and varied areas. This book shows them how.
More than ever, it is vital that librarians demonstrate leadership skills that will reinforce their own value and that of their institutions. The Many Faces of School Library Leadership offers insights and practical suggestions for such leadership through 10 essays contributed by outstanding leaders in the field of school librarianship.
The book covers leadership in curriculum and instruction, literacy, technology, intellectual freedom, staff development, and other equally critical areas. It discusses the breadth and depth of the leadership school librarians must provide to move the school library program forward, secure enhanced services for students and faculty, and improve student achievement. It offers insights into the many leadership roles embraced by accomplished practitioners and considers the research surrounding these best practices. The book ends with a powerful chapter by renowned visionary David Loertscher that is a call for change and renewal—and an inspirational reminder of the bottom-line purpose of the profession.
• Essays from a star-studded array of experts who are widely known and respected in the school library field, including Ken Haycock, Vi Harada, Blanche Woolls, and Helen Adams
• A lengthy resource section in every chapter
• Extensive references and bibliographies
• Looks at the very real job of being a school librarian today, a job that requires leadership in many areas critical to student learning and achievement
• Covers both the research and the “how-to” of school library leadership
• Focuses on collaboration, helping teachers teach, and program advocacy, inspiring school librarians to renew their efforts to become the learning leaders in their schools
• Offers practical, actionable advice throughout
School Library Leadership